Pearls are extremely delicate and require proper care. Use the following guidelines to enjoy your pearl jewelry and protect it for generations to come. Below are some tips for cleaning and caring for your pearls:
- ● Never use ammonia or any harsh chemicals to clean pearls. They will rub off the nacre, leaving you with a plain bead.
- ● Wearing your pearls often will allow them to absorb the natural oils present on the skin and give them a beautiful luster.
- ● Wipe your pearls with a soft lint free cloth each time you take them off. Source: HowToCleanStuff
Store Them Properly
- ● Store pearls in a separate jewelry pouch. They can get scratched by sharp objects or other gemstones. Source: wikiHow
Keep Them Clean
As we said earlier, even cultured pearls with thicker coatings are more fragile than most other gemstones, so you must handle them carefully to keep them in the best condition.
- ● Your pearls will stay cleaner if you put them on after you've applied your makeup and perfume.
- ● Be sure to take off your pearl rings before you apply hand and body creams.
- ● Wipe your pearls with a soft, lint-free cloth as soon as you take them off. The cloth can be dampened with water, or it can be dry. If damp, allow the pearls to air dry before putting them away.
- ● Dirty pearls can be cleaned with a mild soap and water solution (try Ivory bar soaps flakes).
- ● Don't submerge pearls in liquid. If cleaning, use a damp lint free cloth with the cleaning solution. Make sure you rinse off all the solution and pat try, making sure never to leave the pearls under water.
- ● Don't under any circumstances put pearl jewelry in an ultrasonic cleaner. The vibrations can severely damage the nacre coating.
- ● Don't use abrasive cleaners or rub pearls with abrasive cloth. Both can wear away the nacre coating, leaving you with a plain looking bead. Source: Jewelry.About
102 Scollard St, Toronto, ON M5R 1G2